Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Get a Book!


“Nearly one-third of young Americans recently polled couldn’t locate Louisiana on a map and nearly half were unable to identify Mississippi.” (citation) That’s crazy….how do people in AMERICA not know where the states are. The same close friend of mine that I refer to is from a foreign country, told me that most Americans can only locate three European countries on a map. It is so annoying when you think about how little we as americans know about each other or other foreign countries. Are your proud of that? What is sad is that this statistic does not come from school children, teen-agers, or college students; it comes from adults or just American citizens. I love my country, and from what I am told, the land we have is a blessing, but it is so hard for me to be proud of the education we have when I see a statistic like this. I want to be proud. We need to do something. Give your kids books. Growing up, I never wanted to sleep; I was a night owl. When I didn’t want to sleep and I didn’t have the convenience of a TV, I had books. I’d look at these children house encyclopedias cover to cover just astonished at the things that I didn’t know about. People wonder why I know things that I probably shouldn’t know or never was taught, and I just learned early on. I sat down and was so easily intrigued by things that I read about. And I continued to want to find more things I didn’t know. I find many things very interesting that most don’t. I can definitely say that, but that’s not a reason for someone to not be able to identify states or countries. Not a reason at all.
**Citation for photo

No comments:

Post a Comment